Please join me today, in welcoming back a very good friend of this blog, Farouk Radwan who has written this guest post. Farouk is the founder of one of the top personal development websites: http://www.2knowmyself.com.
No, this is not an article about assertiveness or one that will tell you what to do when you don’t feel like doing a certain task. Rather, it’s one that will tell you how to say no to life when it asks you to give up on your dreams.
Life is not rosy, it’s full of tough times an unexpected problems. One day you might find that you are feeling great and in the next day you might find yourself completely down because of a sudden unexpected event that happened.
Saying no to people is easy, you just have to summon your courage and say what you really want to say but when it comes to life problems, saying no should be done in a different way.
How to refuse to let life put you down
- Stop complaining and giving excuses: When something bad happens, complaining becomes the easiest way to feel. After all it’s much easier to complain and object about everything without doing any effort to fix your life. If you are serious about getting what you want in life, then you must understand that the more you complain the less you will work. Forget about the blame game and go straight forward to work.
- Move: In order to change the bad life events that you don’t like, you need to move. There are two types of people in this world, those who do nothing and wish that things become better and those who move! Moving is all about being eager to change whatever you don’t like about your life. The direction of the movement won’t matter as long as you are doing something. Find anything to do and keep moving. One day you will come across the right thing to do and your life will become better.
- Be flexible: Sometimes you wont be able to reach what you want in life before you take u-turns. If you wanted a job so badly then didn’t get it then you must be flexible enough to find another one even if you don’t like it that much. Do something that you don’t like for a while until you manage to do what you like. In other words, be flexible when it comes to short term goals without ever giving up on your big dreams.
- Say no to those who put you down: During down times the number of people who will put you down will become bigger. Everyone will seem to be trying to break you and to let you stop. Say no to those who put you down by refusing to believe them. Say no by doing your best to prove them wrong and say no by being patient until they realize that you were born to succeed.
Examples of people who said no
- Steve Jobs: Steve Jobs always wanted to work in the computer industry but he was rejected by both IBM and Atari. Steve didn’t stop at this rejection. He said no by proving those who rejected him wrong. Steve jobs created the Apple empire and showed the world that anybody can still succeed even if he was rejected by industry experts.
- Soichiro Honda: Soichiro Honda was passionate about the automotive industry. He applied for a job at Toyota but the interviewers rejected him, after they told him he was not fit for that industry. A typical response of an ordinary person at that time would have been giving up. However, Honda was one of the people who said no to life challenges, and he decided to keep going. He started thinking about creating his own company. Within years the car manufacturer Honda was born, which competed with Toyota and took some of its market share.
- Oscar Pistorious: Oscar, a South African kid, became an amputee after losing both legs. Oscar decided to play sports with his newly acquired artificial limbs. He played water polo, tennis and rugby. While playing rugby he injured his knees and had to give up on it. Oscar decided to say no to life problems by finding another sport he could excel at. He started running and yesterday he qualified for the 400 meters semi finals in the ongoing Olympics!
Do you what’s common between all of those people?
Those people aren’t extraordinary human beings or super heroes. They are just ordinary people who decided to say no and refused to live a mediocre life just because they faced a challenge or two.
If you want to get what you want in life then know that one of the most important keys for doing so is saying no.
Ready to say no?
- What do you do when you say no to life problems?
- Please share your experiences, where you boldly said no to a problem, and went for what you wanted.
- Please share your valuable views and thoughts in the comments box below.
- Please also share this post on your favourite social networks.
Photo Credit: roland